MVVM Light 4 Install Issue on XP SP3.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I'm having the same problem as many others regarding the MVVM Light ToolKit setup GalaSoft.MvvmLight.4.0.23.4.msi

"There is a problem with this windows installer package.
A program required for this install to complete could not be run. 
Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I am trying to install it on XP SP3 on a Xeon desktop. I have managed to install it on my i5 laptop with the same operating system configuration.

Checking the event log gives the following response.

The description for Event ID ( 11721 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: MVVM Light Toolkit -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: PostSetupActionVS10Machine, location: C:\, command: C:\Documents and Settings\cz1ml0\Application Data\\MvvmLight\ModifyRegistryKey.exe -i10m "C:\Program Files\Laurent Bugnion (GalaSoft)\Mvvm Light Toolkit\Snippets\CSharp\ , (NULL), (NULL),

Any ideas?

Just installed V3 without problems. V4 installer seems to spend much longer doing something with Templates and then fails in the same way.

I have tried GalaSoft.MvvmLight.V4beta1.4.0.2.19.msi and GalaSoft.MvvmLight.4.0.23.4.msi.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM

If I take the ModifyRegistryKey.exe file from my laptop, where installation succeeds, the installation gets all the way to installing after updating Templates before it fails.

With a fake .exe or no exe, the installation fails pretty much immediately.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

As I've yet to have any success with this, I simply copied the files from my laptop to my Desktop. Voila, it seems to work.