Make use of CommonServiceLocator nuget package

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The current MvvmLightLibs nuget package is not making use of CommonServiceLocator nuget package. This is quite annoying because this create conflitcs on Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.dll if you make use of another package that need CommonServiceLocator .

Do you think it's possible to create an offical nuget package that depends on CommonServiceLocator ?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

This is a problem that we have also come across, as we have been using both MVVM Light and Prism within our Silverlight application. Now, having begun the process of switching to use NuGet to manage our DLL's, we cannot use the MVVM Light NuGet package as there is a conflict around the CommonServiceLocator DLL.

+1 to the idea of changing the official MVVM Light NuGet package to depend on the CommonServiceLocator package instead of the current situation.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It is a good one. My main issue with the CommonServiceLocator package is that they are traditionally extremely slow to port their library to new platforms like Windows Phone or Windows 8. Due to this, I had to deliver my own builds. I will see if I can deliver the official one for supported platforms, and a custom build one for non supported platforms.

Cheers
Laurent 

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thanks very much for replying so quickly. I look forward with interest to seeing what can be done.

Martyn.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

This is a great. Thank you, it will be greatly appreciated.

Damien.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:08 AM

The Portable.CommonServiceLocator contains the existing signed CSL binaries as well as the PCL one that supports windows 8, .net 4.5 and others. Still waiting on Microsoft to include the PCL in their official package, but the binaries are the same in the one I mentioned.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Hi onovotny.

This is a great work. Unfortunatly, Portable.MvvmLightLibs is not compatible with .NET 4.0. Do you think it's possible to update the package ?

Damien

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hi Damien,

Unfortunately, ICommand is only available for PCL's that target .NET 4.5 or later otherwise it'd be easy.

There's more info on cross-platform MVVM here:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HiddenGemsInVisualStudio11BetaNETPortableClassLibraries.aspx

and here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh563947.aspx

A matrix of supported features by platform is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg597391(v=VS.110).aspx#assemblies

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Hi,

I just pushed a new build (4.1.27.0) to Nuget that is depending on the official CommonServiceLocator package where available.

Cheers
Laurent
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM
This is a good news !

Thank you Laurent.
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Thank you very much Laurent.

I am looking forward to trying this out in our project. Hopefully today.

Thanks again for all your efforts and hard work!

Martyn.