Can More Effort Be Put into Proper Tutorials?

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Hi

I learned about MVVM Light toolkit from a windows phone 7 book I was reading. When I downloaded the latest version of Light I found that lots has changed since the release of that book(2011) and found it hard to follow their tutorials.

I started to look for tutorials online but kept finding the same thing that the tutorials were out of date and could not be easily followed.

I started to watch your videos that you did and they are great to get a person excited about Light toolkit but to use them as a tutorial(even with the source code) is very difficult.

I am right now really stuck on how to even really use Light toolkit. I tried to learn from the source code but it is hard to follow.

I think it would be great if some investment in tutorials. I know it is nice to keep adding more and more features but documentation and tutorials are just as equally important.

Some topics I would think would be good would be
  1. Intro with MVVM light and WP7/8(plus any other projects)
  2. How to do navigation in WP7/8 with MVVM
  3. How to do other events(onchange,mouse over and etc) in WP7/8 with MVVM
Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Hi,

The question of the tutorials is a difficult one because for each person who asks for tutorials, I have at least another who tells me tutorials are not needed and I should rather concentrate on improving the toolkit. I also tried for some time to find people interested to create coordinated tutorials but it is hard to find motivated people to write documentation.

That said you will be happy to know that I am currently working in collaboration with Pluralsight to create an MVVM Light course. At this point I cannot tell you exactly when it is going to be ready but it will cover all the points that you mention and much much more. In the tutorial I will add examples for WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Please keep pushing me ;)

Cheers
Laurent
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM
lbugnion wrote:
Hi,

The question of the tutorials is a difficult one because for each person who asks for tutorials, I have at least another who tells me tutorials are not needed and I should rather concentrate on improving the toolkit. I also tried for some time to find people interested to create coordinated tutorials but it is hard to find motivated people to write documentation.

That said you will be happy to know that I am currently working in collaboration with Pluralsight to create an MVVM Light course. At this point I cannot tell you exactly when it is going to be ready but it will cover all the points that you mention and much much more. In the tutorial I will add examples for WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Please keep pushing me ;)

Cheers
Laurent
Hey.

Hmm not sure how to proceed. I guess I will try to figure out how to use MVVM light one more time otherwise might have to try to find a toolkit with documentation as I can't really wait to for an unknown amount of time till documentation is available to start my project.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Hi,

Did you watch my introductory videos?

[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo1]
[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo2]
[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo3]

That should at least get you started.

Cheers
Laurent
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM
lbugnion wrote:
Hi,

Did you watch my introductory videos?

[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo1]
[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo2]
[http://www.galasoft.ch/mvvmvideo3]

That should at least get you started.

Cheers
Laurent
Ya. I am trying to follow it(some stuff has changed). but it does not really go into navigating and such. I tried to follow this tutorial: http://blog.galasoft.ch/archive/2011/01/06/navigation-in-a-wp7-application-with-mvvm-light.aspx

but it really does not go into how to use it. Not sure if for now I should just stick to the basic click command and databinding and leave navigation and other events to the codebehind.

Not sure if I will lose blend(what is a huge draw for me...anything that makes data binding easier)
Feb 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Laurent wrote a small app for a MSDN article that I found to be useful when getting started with MVVM Light.
It may help with some of your needs for working code examples.

MSDN download
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Laurent,

I will definitely be checking up with Pluralsight for your tutorials. The previous tutorials I have read are OK, but I need a little more help. I am one of these guys who are having a difficult time coming from ASP.NET programming over to WPF and MVVM. But I cannot wait to fully understand the technology and be fluent enough to start programming in it. It is very promising! Thanks for all of your hard work!
Jul 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM
It is still very much how I do it in WP and in WinStore apps.

Cheers
Laurent

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM
lbugnion wrote:
It is still very much how I do it in WP and in WinStore apps. Cheers Laurent
Thoughts vs this way?

http://gavindraper.com/2013/01/14/mvvm-page-navigation-using-mvvm-light-on-wp7/
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2013 at 5:13 AM
That works too but it forces all your pages to derive from the base page. I use that mechanism in WP for the dialog service, but where I can avoid it, like NaivgationService, I prefer to not do it this way.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM
lbugnion wrote:
That works too but it forces all your pages to derive from the base page. I use that mechanism in WP for the dialog service, but where I can avoid it, like NaivgationService, I prefer to not do it this way.
Ok I will have to try both ways and see what fits my needs better.

Wondering if you know how to fix this "blendablity" problem.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17600995/how-do-i-make-my-listpickerfrom-wp-toolkit-blendablemvvm-light
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM
lbugnion wrote:
That works too but it forces all your pages to derive from the base page. I use that mechanism in WP for the dialog service, but where I can avoid it, like NaivgationService, I prefer to not do it this way.
Other than making you change it to derive from the base page(ie having to change all of those ares) is there other downsides?

Also in your solution way how do you get back events like NavigatedFrom / NavigatedTo?